PROGRAM INFORMATION FOR FALL 2020
*The Sturgis Academy will remain virtual for Fall Semester 2020*
The mission of the Sturgis Music Academy is to provide an opportunity for excellence in the pursuit of high-quality musical education, based on the methods and philosophies of Shinichi Suzuki, Mimi Zweig and Paul Rolland. This is a proven method for developing confidence, creative thinking, and a general work ethic that will assist students' musical and non-musical endeavors. The students of the Academy receive weekly group and private lessons, as well as virtual performance opportunities throughout the semester.
We are handling the Covid-19 climate consistent with other music academies across the country. As music instruction online is possible and effective, for the safety of our students, families and faculty we are remaining online for the fall term. We are happy to serve our families and community during this time by providing much-needed consistency and structure to lives of our students. We will announce our plan for the spring as the year progresses. Thank you all for your patience and dedication to our program during this time.
MONDAY, AUGUST 24TH - SATURDAY, DECEMBER 12TH
- Offering weekly private and group lessons for violin and cello
- For violin, we accept students ages 4 -18.
- For cello, we accept students ages 7-18.
- Offering group and individual performance opportunities
- Private lessons once a week (lesson length and teacher assignment determined by the instructor)
- Teachers for the private lesson might be different from the group lesson
- Fees (based on the length of private lessons):
- 30-minute private lesson: $480
- 45-minute private lesson: $640
- 60-minute private lesson: $800
- Fees include all group and private lessons and activities in the semester
Any non-Sturgis student of Ms. Jo or Ms. Katherine is welcome to attend any group class with a donation to the Education Department of $50/semester.
ZOOM GROUP CLASS SCHEDULE:
BEGINNING VIOLIN - MONDAYS 4:15 PM Williamson
INTERMEDIATE VIOLIN - TUESDAYS 5:15 PM Williamson
ADVANCED VIOLIN - MONDAYS 5:15 PM Williamson
INTERMEDIATE CELLO - TUESDAYS 5:15 PM Klett
ADVANCED CELLO - MONDAYS 5:15 PM Klett
*We will add a beginning cello class on Mondays at 4:15 PM if necessary
We are in the process of creating a Sturgis YouTube channel. This will include piano tracks and play-throughs for many of our beginning pieces.
Faculty: Katherine Williamson and Timothy MacDuff, violins
Joanna Klett, cello
Please visit our facebook page for more information.
FALL TUITION DUE SEPTEMBER 14TH, 2020
- Financial aid is available. (Contact the director for the application form)
- Registration and financial aid application deadline:
- Fall: August 11th, 2020
- Tuition in full: (Contact the director for payment options)
- Fall: September 14th, 2020
- Tuition by two installments:
- Fall: September 14th, 2020 and October 26th, 2020
Payable by check made out to Arkansas Symphony Orchestra (or ASO), cash, or credit card through https://www.arkansassymphony.org/sturgis-pay-online
- Address: Arkansas Symphony Orchestra c/o Sturgis Music Academy 2417 N. Tyler Little Rock, AR 72207 Memo: Fall Tuition
All weekly private lessons will take place online usuing a patform mutually agreed upon between family and teacher. i.e. zoom, facetime, google duo, etc.
All group classes will take place via zoom. Login information will be provided to enrolled students.
*Meet your teacher/In-person Intrument Check*
We will have an opportunity for you to come to Byrne Hall the weekend ahead of term. There will be 15 minute slots per family for us to meet OUTDOORS. Masks will be worn and social distance guidlines will be followed. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY. Simply an opportunity to check-in if need be.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 22ND 7:30 AM - 11 AM AND 6:00 - 8:00 PM
SUNDAY, AUGUST 23RD 7:30 AM - 11 AM AND 6:00 - 8 :00 PM
*Email the Director for a time by August 11th, 2020.
Online Halloween Concert & Trivia
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 31ST 3PM
Winter Online Solo Recital
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 12TH 3 PM
No group class or lessons in observance of Labor Day on September 7th (private lessons will be made up)
Academy-Wide Online History Class
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH 5:15 PM with Ms. Jo and Ms. Katherine
No group classes or lessons week of Thanksgiving November 23rd - 29th
Faculty Contact Information
Katherine Williamson Director /Violin Instructor
- Telephone: 501-666-1761, Ext. 109
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Timothy MacDuff Violin Instructor
- Email: email@example.com
Joanna Klett / Cello instructor
- Telephone: 501-666-1761, Ext. 121
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org