PROGRAM INFORMATION FOR FALL/SPRING 2020/21
*The Sturgis Academy will remain virtual for the 20/21 academic year*
The mission of the Sturgis Music Academy is to provide an opportunity for excellence in the pursuit of high-quality musical education, based on the methods and philosophies of Shinichi Suzuki, Mimi Zweig and Paul Rolland. This is a proven method for developing confidence, creative thinking, and a general work ethic that will assist students' musical and non-musical endeavors. The students of the Academy receive weekly group and private lessons, as well as virtual performance opportunities throughout the semester.
We are handling the Covid-19 climate consistent with other music academies across the country. As music instruction online is possible and effective, for the safety of our students, families and faculty we are remaining online for the fall term. We are happy to serve our families and community during this time by providing much-needed consistency and structure to lives of our students. We will announce our plan for the spring as the year progresses. Thank you all for your patience and dedication to our program during this time.
SPRING PROGRAM PERIOD:
MONDAY, JANUARY11TH - SATURDAY, MAY 15TH
NOTE: FOR THE SPRING SEMESTER WE WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY BEGINNING STUDENTS. EXPERIENCED STUDENTS MAY REGISTER BY APPROVAL FROM THE DIRECTOR. CHECK BACK FOR ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS SUMMER OR FALL 2021!
- Offering weekly private and group lessons for violin and cello
- For violin, we accept students ages 4 -18.
- For cello, we accept students ages 7-18.
- Offering group and individual performance opportunities
- Private lessons once a week (lesson length and teacher assignment determined by the instructor)
- Teachers for the private lesson might be different from the group lesson
- Fees (based on the length of private lessons):
- 30-minute private lesson: $480
- 45-minute private lesson: $640
- 60-minute private lesson: $800
- Fees include all group and private lessons and activities in the semester
Any non-Sturgis student of Ms. Jo or Ms. Katherine is welcome to attend any group class with a donation to the Education Department of $50/semester.
ZOOM GROUP CLASS SCHEDULE:
BEGINNING VIOLIN - MONDAYS 4:15 PM Williamson
INTERMEDIATE VIOLIN - TUESDAYS 5:15 PM Williamson
ADVANCED VIOLIN - MONDAYS 5:15 PM Williamson
INTERMEDIATE CELLO - TUESDAYS 5:15 PM Klett
ADVANCED CELLO - MONDAYS 5:15 PM Klett
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR HELPFUL PLAYLISTS AND PAST RECITALS
Faculty: Katherine Williamson and Timothy MacDuff, violins
Joanna Klett, cello
Please visit our facebook page for more information.
SPRING TUITION DUE FEBRUARY 12TH, 2020
- Financial aid is available. (Contact the director for the application form)
- Registration and financial aid application deadline:
- Spring: January 4th, 2021
- Tuition in full: (Contact the director for payment options)
- Spring: February 12th, 2021
- Tuition by two installments:
- Spring: February 12th, 2021 and March 22, 2021
Payable by check made out to Arkansas Symphony Orchestra (or ASO), cash, or credit card through https://www.arkansassymphony.org/sturgis-pay-online
- Address: Arkansas Symphony Orchestra c/o Sturgis Music Academy 2417 N. Tyler Little Rock, AR 72207 Memo: Fall Tuition
All weekly private lessons will take place online usuing a patform mutually agreed upon between family and teacher. i.e. zoom, facetime, google duo, etc.
All group classes will take place via zoom. Login information will be provided to enrolled students.
SATURDAY, APRIL 24TH 3:00 PM
*We are hoping this can occur outdoors and in person at Byrne Hall. Stay tuned as we monitor the situation. Should this concert occur in person there will be a dress rehearsal on April 17th at 1:00 PM and we will not have online group class that week.
Spring Solo Recitals
SATURDAY, MAY 15TH 1:00 AND 3:00 PM
*We are hoping that these can occur outdoors and in person at Byrne Hall. Details TBD as we monitor the situation.
*PLEASE NOTE ALL LESSONS WILL CONTINUE TO BE ONLINE FOR THE ENTIRETY OF THE SPRING TERM*
No group class or lessons in observance of MLK DAY on Monday, January 18th
No group classes or lessons week of spring break (March 22nd - 28th)
Faculty Contact Information
Katherine Williamson Director /Violin Instructor
- Telephone: 501-666-1761, Ext. 109
- Email: email@example.com
Timothy MacDuff Violin Instructor
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Joanna Klett / Cello instructor
- Telephone: 501-666-1761, Ext. 121
- Email: email@example.com