ASO is excited to announce a new festival celebrating local community organizations, arts and crafts, food trucks, and brews!
In November of 2018 Symphony Local will celebrate local community organizations, including Arkansas Foodbank, and local arts and crafts vendors. Food trucks and drink vendors include Lost 40 Brewing, Say Cheese, Adobo-to-Go, Arkansas Heart Hospital Food Truck 'Food from the Heart,' Adams Mobile BBQ and more. The festival takes place before the concert from 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. on Saturday and 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Sunday and admission is free with a concert ticket to Elgar's Enigma.
The concerts begin at 7:30 p.m on Saturday , November 10th and 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 11th. Guest conductor Sara Ioannides will begin the concert with Joan Tower’s Made in America. The program continues with Smetana’s The Moldau and Šárka from his set of symphonic poems entitled Má Vlast, and concludes Elgar’s Enigma Variations. The Masterworks Series is sponsored by the Stella Boyle Smith Trust. Elgar’s Enigma is sponsored by Doubletree Hotel.
Enjoy these local food trucks before the concert!
Arkansas Symphony Orchestra and Arkansas Foodbank will collect food donations during Symphony Local.
- 17.2% of Arkansans do not know where their next meal is coming from. (2nd worst in the nation)
- 264,000 people face food insecurity in the Arkansas Foodbank 33-county service area
- One in four children (3rd worst in the nation) are at risk for hunger in Arkansas
Arkansas Foodbank secures donations, stores, and distributes food to people in need.
- Arkansas Foodbank assists people in 33 counties across central and southern Arkansas. Of the 280,000 clients Arkansas Foodbank serves, 33% are children under the age of 18 and 11% are seniors over the age of 60.
- Arkansas Foodbank distributes enough food for 60,500 meals a day and 742,000 visits a year.
- 77% of the food pantries Arkansas Foodbank serves are faith-based.
Arkansas Symphony patrons can help by bringing non-perishable food items to the Symphony Local festival. Anyone who brings 10 or more non-perishable food items will receive a voucher good for one pair of tickets to any upcoming ASO concert in the 2018-2019 season. The most needed items are:
- canned meat
- canned veggies
- cornbread/stuffing mix
- cranberry sauce
- mashed potato mix
- canned/instant gravy
- canned sweet potatotes
- mac and cheese
- canned fruit
- canned pie filling
- pie crust (shelf stable)
- nuts (all varieties)