Next Audition Dates
Location: Byrne Hall, 2417 N Tyler St, Little Rock, AR 72207
An audition is required to join the ASO Youth Ensembles. Auditions are held twice annually. An audition application and audition fee must be received in order to schedule an audition. Audition times must be scheduled in advance.
Please review the audition requirements below for the group you wish to join.
An audition application must be received in order to schedule an audition! Audition times must be scheduled in advance.
Prelude Orchestra – for students in 4th through 8th grade
An audition is required for entrance to the Prelude Orchestra. Students need to have studied their instruments for at least 2 years and demonstrate, in their audition, two sharps and two flats in first position. Experience in third position is desired but not required. Students in this group MUST be able to read music and must be familiar with the concept of, and received an introduction to, shifting.
- One major scale, 2 octaves
- Two prepared pieces or movements of contrasting style and tempo
Academy Orchestra – for students in 7th through 12th grade
The Academy Orchestra is the intermediate-level ensemble with a full complement of strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion. Entrance is by audition only. String players must demonstrate facility above 1st position and in keys up to 4 sharps and 4 flats. Woodwind and Brass players must be at the level to make All-Region Band and Orchestra.
- 2-3 octave major scale, 2-3 octave melodic minor scale (1 octave for bass) in one flat key and one sharp key
- 2 contrasting solo pieces from Suzuki book 4 or above (book 3 for cello and bass) or comparable
- Frequent shifting and use of 3rd position or higher
- 2 octave major scale, 2 octave melodic minor scale in one flat and one sharp key
- 2 contrasting pieces from a junior high technical studies book or solo piece
Youth Orchestra – for students in 8th through 12th grade
The Youth Orchestra consists of the most advanced string, woodwind, brass and percussion players from around the state. Entrance is by audition only and for those whose audition demonstrates familiarity with advanced techniques, in order to perform the standard orchestra repertoire. Youth Orchestra students may have opportunities to participate in masterclasses with visiting ASO guest artists, and have opportunities to receive coaching and performance opportunities in smaller chamber ensembles. In some circumstances, students auditioning for the Woodwind and Brass Sections may be replaced in the group on a probationary basis, with the opportunity to audition later for a tenured spot in the orchestra. Selected woodwinds and brass students can be up to age 20.
- 3 octave major scale, 3 octave melodic minor scale (2 octaves for bass) in one flat and one sharp key
- 2 contrasting solo pieces from Suzuki book 5 or above (book 4 for cello and bass) or comparable
- Frequent shifting and use of 4th position or higher
- 2 octave majors scale, 2 octave melodic minor scale in one flat and one sharp key
- 2 contrasting pieces from a senior high level technical studies book or solo piece
- Basic understanding of transposition for clarinet, horn, and trumpet
- Demonstration of suitable high range
The concertmaster position may rotate during the year. A violinist must take the concertmaster audition to be considered for the concertmaster position. Concertmaster auditions will occur on the same day as chair auditions, but are by sign-up. There will be additional audition excerpts. Members of the Violin 2 section may take the concertmaster audition by preparing the added concertmaster excerpts and the regular violin 2 excerpts. All students who sign up for a concertmaster audition must also take a regular chair audition the same day.
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.